Federal Drug Trafficking ∙ Helping Avoid Serious Penalties
A felony drug charge is a serious matter, but a federal drug trafficking conviction can lead to life imprisonment in some cases. A small-time drug dealer can end up with a penalty or sentence worthy of a major drug lord.
At DeRoberts Law Firm, Jeffrey DeRoberts has been providing aggressive criminal defense for clients since 1993. When your freedom is on the line, it is a good idea to hire a criminal defense attorney with experience in both state and federal court.
Since 1993, attorney DeRoberts has been defending those charged with possession with intent to sell. Drug trafficking charges tend to be for distribution of:
- Powder or crack cocaine
- Prescription pain killers, such as OxyContin
Free Initial Consultation ∙ Call Our Syracuse Drug Trafficking Defense Attorney Day or Night ∙315-479-6445
Understanding Drug Trafficking Charges
Depending on the quantity of the drugs and interstate sales, or other factors, you may be charged in federal court. This is a very serious matter because federal prosecutors have more resources at their disposal, such as the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The federal court system also has mandatory minimum sentences, so you may be facing serious time if convicted.
The penalties are determined by the following:
- Type of drug (drug schedule)
- Amount of drug (usually in grams or kilograms)
- Your record (first offense or multiple offenses)
Here are a few examples of the mandatory sentences:
- First offense of 500 grams of cocaine (schedule II) is punishable by not less than five years and not more than 40 years.
- Second offense of 100 kilograms of marijuana is punishable by not less than 10 years and not more than life in prison.
- Second offense of five grams of pure methamphetamine (schedule II) is punishable by not less than 10 years and not more than life in prison.
New York Drug Charges Defense Lawyer
A felony-level drug trafficking charge can start from a simple traffic stop or can be the result of a wire tap or confidential informant. For people who are dealing drugs simply to feed their own addiction, we have been successful in finding an alternative resolution. A drug treatment program can be a very good option for some individuals.